Friday, February 5, 2010

Sleep

Not happening much around here this week. You might think...what do they expect Barrett is just a newborn, well if you assumed out sleep deprivation is caused by Barrett you are wrong. Our 2 year old little girl has some major sleep issues. About a year ago, just after we found out we were pregnant, we moved Lilly into her big girl bed and to our amazement she did great. Went to sleep easily, never got out of bed, and would sleep through the entire night. This continued through most of my pregnancy, right up until about a month before Barrett was born. Coincidence...I think not. Now our nights are interrupted more from Lilly than from Barrett. All I can say is thank goodness B-man is a good little sleeper, otherwise I think I would need to be committed (also thanks to my friend and her sleep "bible" book, you know who you are). Lilly has been waking up and not going back to sleep unless someone is in her bed with her and even then it can take her up to an hour to fall back to sleep. So we decided to be mean and nasty parents and put an end to all of this. It has been a rough few nights with having to put a screaming child back in her room up to 50 times in an hour. Last night we put up a gate in her doorway so of course she slept right there on the floor. Poor kid, we love her to pieces, and its heartbreaking to hear her yelling for you and begging you to sleep with her, but we know its for her own good. Hopefully this will work and and work soon...we are like zombies around here. Here is a pic from last night...

3 comments:

Whitney and Family said...

Ugh. Nothing is more traumatizing to me than interrupted sleep night after night. It's such a nightmare and makes me InSaNe!!!! I am a firm believer in the "cry it out technique". I swear they never take you seriously until they know their options are literally to sit and cry, or go to sleep. Especially with older ones. Sorry this has been happening...hopefully she'll learn soon!!!

Jason and Kate said...

Glad that the "bible" is working out for you. :) I saw on FB that she finally slept in her bed all night. Woohoo! We haven't gotten much sleep over here due to sickness so here's to everyone sleeping well tonight.

Unknown said...

I'm a total believer in "locking" your kid in their room, ha ha! Dallin's doorknob fell off on the inside of his room when he was a baby and we never got around to fixing it. There is a short knob to turn and get out, but he doesn't know how. So when he goes to bed, he's stuck in his room until morning.